Monday, August 31, 2009

What a long day

Wow...what a long day.

Two years ago, after years of being disgusted with the fact that I quit college after 3 weeks out of high school, I decided to go back. Not only did I feel that a college education suited me and I had let myself down, I had two teenage boys who were approaching the college age themselves. Since I believe whole heartedly in leading others by example I also felt I had no choice but to pursue my degree. How could I tell them one thing and have done completely the opposite?

In June of 2009 I graduated with a A.S. in Public Safety. One of the proudest moments of my life was knowing my boys were in the stands, watching me walk on graduation day!

However, I've decided to continue on to pursue my Bachelor degree and actually will more than likely continue on to graduate school. But one step at a time.

So today I was scheduled to for two classes when I left the firehouse. I currently work 24 hours and I am off 48 hours.

Last night, at 3 am, the alarm sounds for a "working" residence fire. This means that it is actually a confirmed fire. As we approached, we saw a typical ranch with fire rolling out the three windows on the "A side" (front of the structure). It looked as if the entire interior of the house was in flames!!!

It took awhile before my crew was able to push the flames back to gain entry. Once inside the rest of the fire was quickly under control. However, in any structure fire the main concerns once the fire is out, are spot fires, hidden in the walls and ceiling. This may take several hours. Last night, or this morning rather, was no exception.

So, after 4 hours of firefighting and about 2 hours of sleep, we roll back to the station. I take a quick shower, mix me up a P90X Shakeology for breakfast and like a trooper, head down to IUPUI for an exciting 90 minutes of Finite Mathmatics, followed by 2 hours of Spanish!!!

Trust me, today caffeine, guarana and nitric oxide were definately my friends!

Oh, the nitric oxide? Well that was the boost I needed when I got home and Michele was anxiously waiting for me, in her workout gear, with the P90X Chest, Shoulders, Triceps and Abs DVD in the player!

Ugh! What a defining moment. I'm exhausted from being up all night and physically working, been to class on campus all day and now, I'm faced with either doing my scheduled workout or opting out, using fatigue as an excuse.

Well, it didn't take me long. In January, when I survived my brain surgery and had to work to get back to normal, I vowed to become a warrior. I made a promise to myself and implicity my family to take care of myself, to be strong, healthy and make better choices. We made a concious decision for a lifestyle change and this was one of those moments that ultimately influence others around you.

P90X it was!

Now, after a long day of fire, mathmatical logic, espanol, and P90X (and the recovery drink that tastes like a dreamcicle), I've had an awesome fresh chicken and black bean wrap cooked by my favorite cook, a shower, and a little snuggle time with my angel (Maleah my five year old daughter), all that's left is my big, soft, plush, comfortable bed.

Good night all!

Bradley
www.bamelitefitness.com
bam@bamelitefitness.com
www.facebook.com/unclefraddy
www.twitter.com/bamelitefitness
www.teambeachbody.com/bamelitefitness

No comments:

Post a Comment